Known as the ‘Pearl of the Chesapeake,’ Mathews County is tucked between Mobjack Bay and the Piankatank River. Although it is Virginia’s 2nd smallest county in terms of land, Mathews boasts over 200 miles of Chesapeake Bay shoreline providing endless access to boating, fishing, swimming, and kayaking. The total population is approximately 9,000 people, and Gwynn’s Island is located in the northeast part of the county.
[ scroll down to see homes for sale in Mathews County ]
Mathews’ communities are something to be noted as well. Anyone visiting the area can expect to see stately homes, historic churches, and other noteworthy buildings. For instance, the New Point Comfort Lighthouse was commissioned by Thomas Jefferson in 1804 and is the third oldest lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay. Likewise, Mathews County’s Courthouse is a charming antebellum structure that has been in operation since it was built in 1795.
If you are looking for a quiet place to spend an afternoon, we recommend taking a trip to Mathews’ quaint Main Street and exploring the specialty shops and restaurants located around the Courthouse Square. There are also several annual festivals that take place in the area — Mathews Market Days and Gwynn’s Island Festival being the most notable — providing the perfect opportunity for locals to showcase their creativity and Mathews pride.
Just north of the New Point Comfort Lighthouse lays a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach known as Bavon Beach. You will find multiple Outer Banks-style cottages and homes here that are available for vacation rental. The area offers spectacular views of the Bay, and the beach here is private. If you’re looking for a more public location to relax, there is also Haven Beach. The area has on-site parking and will give you a glimpse into the natural habitats of the Bay with its tidal lagoon, marshes, and shrubby areas.
Mathews’ vast access to the shoreline combined with its location and easy access to the Bay makes it extremely popular amongst boating and fishing enthusiasts. And for the history buffs, Mathews County’s close proximity to Virginia’s Historic Triangle — Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown — will provide boundless opportunities to learn about Virginia’s rich history first-hand.
Driving distance from:
- Richmond — 71 miles (1hr 20min)
- Washington, D.C. — 173 miles (3hr 10min)
- Norfolk — 65 miles (1hr 40min)
Homes For Sale
- Under $150,000
- From $150,000 to $250,000
- From $250,000 to $500,000
- From $500,000 to $1,000,000
- Over $1,000,000
- Commercial Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $0 – $100,000
- Commercial Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $200,000 – $300,000
- Lots/Land Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $0 – $100,000
- Lots/Land Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $100,000 – $200,000
- Lots/Land Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $200,000 – $300,000
- Lots/Land Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $300,000 – $400,000
- Lots/Land Properties for Sale in Mathews, VA Between $700,000 – $800,000