Visiting the Chesapeake Bay and not trying any seafood is like going to a burger joint and ordering grilled kale — you’re missing out! Because there are so many different areas to visit, it can be difficult to figure out where to go in each county to get the most bang for your buck. We’ve been taste testing the best places to buy fresh local seafood for years, and the results are in.
Here are the local vendors we love:
- J&W Seafood is a gourmet market that offers an unbeatable selection of seafood, micro brews, wine, giftware, and more! They have been proudly serving Deltaville for over 35 years. This is not a spot to be missed!
- Diggs Seafood is another local favorite. Located in West Point, Diggs is famous for their crab muffins and deviled crabs. Whether you’re staying for the weekend or just driving through, this is a great spot to stop for a quick lunch. You can also get your order to-go!
- Shores & Ruark Seafood Company was established in 1976 and has been busy shucking oysters, shedding soft shell crabs, and hand-picking blue crabs ever since. They offer a variety of made-to-order plates at their waterfront eatery on the Rappahannock River, as well as a selection of fresh seafood to be taken home and cooked for later.
- Jim Dan Dee Seafood ‘Crab King’ is a quaint little store with a wide variety of seafood and an emphasis on crabs. The food is fresh, the prices are reasonable, and the service is excellent! Whether you’re looking for dine-in or take-away, this is a go-to spot for locals and visitors alike.
- Uncle Russ’ Dockside Seafood Market boasts a full kitchen, take-out menu, and fresh local seafood to boot. They were awarded best seafood in the Virginia Gazette’s 24th annual ‘Best of Williamsburg,’ and it’s not hard to see why. Uncle Russ’ selection of fish and shellfish is hand picked, fresh every morning.
- Island Seafood Company is a family-owned seafood market that specializes in fresh crabmeat and crabs. They also have delicious salads and the best deviled crabs you can buy on Gwynn’s Island!