The current Wolf Trap Lighthouse has been a part of the Bay since 1894.
In 1821 the original Wolf Trap Light vessel was placed at the shoal which derived its name when during the colonial period “Their Majesties Hyred Ship Wolfe” ran aground in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay, off of which is now Horn Harbor in Mathews County. With the aid of waterman from Gloucester and Middlesex counties the H.M.S. Wolfe was relieved of its guns, ammunition and stores, pumped out and dragged clear of the shoal with negligible damage. Captain Purvis refused payment to the waterman. In the end the owners of the ship resolved the claims of the local waterman and the shoal was thereafter called “Wolf Trap”.
Some of the best Spade fishing grounds in the Chesapeake Bay are located around Wolf Trap Light.